Salam, formerly known as ITC, is a leading Saudi-based telecom provider offering next-generation information and communication technology (ICT) solutions for broadband, connectivity, cloud computing, and managed, security, satellite, and internet services for government, businesses, wholesale, and consumer sectors in Saudi Arabia.
Salam operates two international gateways connected to the 17,000-kilometer Saudi National Fiber Network (SNFN), an independent, state-of-the-art, high-capacity fiber optic network connecting all major cities in the Kingdom. The company is dedicated to helping businesses be smarter, digital, integrated, and secure as part of Saudi Arabia’s Vision for 2030 initiative.
Salam relied on internally developed systems to manage employee and customer service management requests. As a result, the company had no clear processes or methodology to centralize and resolve incoming service inquiries. Salam wanted to improve day-to-day operations and customer satisfaction while empowering its employees to be more productive. If Salam did not make changes, the organization would risk missing its target key performance indicator (KPI) benchmarks, negatively impacting its brand reputation, and potentially losing customers.
After considering several leading ITSM solutions in the market, Salam selected a BMC ITSM solution that offered:
- Flexibility to deploy in an on-premises environment, with the option to migrate to a hybrid cloud or cloud deployment when ready
- Multi-tenancy options that delivered cost savings and economies of scale for future expansion across other parts of the business
- The BMC SmartIT single interface with adaptable graphical user interfaces (GUIs) and mobile access to manage service tickets at any phase of the case lifecycle
- Solution stability and resiliency as measured through metrics such as mean time to repair (MTTR), recovery time objective (RTO), and recovery point objective (RPO)
- Easy access to analytics and report creation tools
The BMC ITSM solution empowered Salam to establish a centralized IT service desk to manage the end-to-end delivery of IT services across employees and customers. Salam can now fulfill user requests, resolve service failures, and execute routine operational tasks while reducing manual intervention. Other critical capabilities include:
- Event monitoring for all events that occur across the IT infrastructure
- Incident response and management for unplanned events that can impact service levels
- Asset management to track deployments, maintenance, and upgrades across IT domains
- Change management to minimize disruptions in service during system upgrades or other changes
- Access management to grant only authorized Salam users the rights to use services or take corrective action on incidents
- Problem management for identifying the root cause of incidents
The solution is now Salam’s framework for setting its service management strategy across its growing portfolio.
The BMC ITSM solution has allowed Salam and its network operations center (NOC) to improve tracking of end-user requests, integrate with the company’s telecommunications services, and meet KPIs. Additional benefits include:
- Increased operational efficiency by more than 75 percent
- Improved the customer experience by 80 percent
- Enhanced visibility
- Boosted employee and company productivity
- Centralized service management cases with real-time access for Salam employees anytime, anywhere
Salam has successfully continued to grow its business and most recently expanded its BMC ITSM solution deployment into its new, high-profile mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) business unit, with further business unit expansions planned. The solution’s multi-tenancy approach has also allowed Salam to continue expanding the IT service management footprint efficiently while realizing economies of scale.
The BMC ITSM solution is helping Salam drive innovation. The company has established a roadmap to eventually move to a SaaS environment for deeper-level agility and efficiencies and is also testing BMC Helix Discovery for better asset management and dependency modeling, with planned enterprise-wide deployments. Salam has invested in BMC Digital Workplace and continues to explore opportunities to expand its integration with and usage of the BMC ITSM solution to support new solutions and services in its own solution portfolio.
“BMC solutions are helping us drive innovation and are now the framework for setting our service management strategy across the business.”— Mamoun Abu-Salah, Head of OSS, Salam